Dot writes: earlier today I typed up my birth plan, ready to discuss it with the midwife when she visits tomorrow.
1. I wish to give birth at home, attended by the Community Midwives.
2. I would like to be supported by my husband, [Ken], and also by my mother, [Katimum], if she is able to be present (my parents are visiting Monday 21st to Monday 28th September).
3. My hope is to have a natural, low-intervention birth, using the resources we have at home and the help and advice of the midwives to manage pain and keep labour going.
4. We have a birthing pool and I would like to use it for at least part of my labour.
5. When the baby is born, assuming there is no need for resuscitation, I would like to hold him and attempt to feed him immediately, leaving weighing and dressing for a little later (though we’ll want to make sure he stays warm).
6. I am happy to have an actively managed third stage if this does not interfere with holding and feeding my baby.
7. In the event of hospital transfer, depending on the reasons for transfer, I realise certain interventions may become necessary, but I would still like to have as natural a labour as possible and in particular to remain upright and mobile. I am especially keen to avoid continuous monitoring unless it is absolutely inevitable, because I am worried about my labour stalling or becoming much more painful if I cannot adopt comfortable positions. I am aware of the dangers of a cascade of intervention if this happens, with resulting risks for the baby as well as for me.
The contentious bit is (7), of course. I wonder if I should just leave it out, because it is unlikely to have much influence on the treatment I receive if we do have to transfer in. I think I’ve already given Sprout and me our best chance of a natural birth by booking the homebirth. Still, it might be good to discuss these issues with the midwife in advance and find out what hospital policy is.