Dot writes: I have no intention of seeing in the New Year at midnight; Ken and I have a nice tradition, initiated last year, of welcoming the first sunrise of the year from the beach at Bull Island, which allows for a much more civilised bedtime. (Forecast for tomorrow morning: rain, high wind, possible tidal surge.) But let me take this opportunity to wish all readers a Happy New Year, more-or-less accurately timed depending on where you live, and recall a few highlights of the year past.
– I co-organised the ISAS conference and had my picture taken with Seamus Heaney
– we had a fantastic hot summer
– Hugh settled in well in Senior Infants
– Frank did a course of music classes in the autumn and enjoyed them
– both boys grew an impressive amount
– I took up the recorder again after a gap of a couple of decades and joined the Society of Recorder Players
– I ran the 10km Dublin Women’s Mini-Marathon
– Ken ran the actual Dublin Marathon
– Ken got a distinction in his MSc
– and – fanfare – Ken was offered, and accepted, a post as Head Brewer at a micro-brewery in Co. Leitrim. He starts on Monday.
Here’s to 2014!